Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Tales From the Childhood Part Two

I figured since we talked about times that happened with my little brother last night, it was only right to move on to the older brother. Now my older brother is 9 years older then me. Practically an old man now. Ba ha. But back when I was say about 5 and he was 14 he would babysit me frequently.
Now Mom I know you are reading this. You should know AGAIN, that these were the most traumatizing times of my life. I suppose it could be called a typical brother sister relationship. I've heard others horror stories about what their older siblings did. But I don't think your older brothers or sisters were as calculating, prepared and overly zealous about their planned time with you.
 One moment that stands out was my loving brother holding me over the banister of the upstairs by my ankles pretending he couldn't hang on to me for long. And he kept saying "Stop struggling Melissa!" Um hey stupid, I am about 15 feet up looking at my head being squished momentarily and you don't want me to put up a fight? Yea that ain't happening.
 Another frequent thing he did was take my favorite doll that I couldn't sleep without her and at the time thought was my real baby and putting her on the ceiling fan and holding me down and making me watch her fly around and around until my poor Drowsy Beans couldn't hold on any longer and flew off.
Drowsy Beans would eventually get revenge for me and her both.
I also remember watching TV one night and hearing my brothers blood curdling scream. I half assed still cared about him at this point in time, so of course I went to see what happened. I ran into the kitchen where I thought I heard the scream coming from to find my brother with a knife stabbed into the side of his chest (Actually between his arm and his body) with blood spattered EVERYWHERE (Actually ketchup). And my brother with his last dying breath tells me "Their still in the house, run!"
Now I don't really remember what I did after this. I think I have blocked this horrible memory from my mind as a coping technique and to remain somewhat normal. But I do remember that I was all of a sudden afraid of that dark after this night. Now you know why Mom.
My brother also was infamous for "smothering" me. Now smothering me consists of taking any bed pillow you have and holding it over someones face telling them that you are cutting all their air off. If you couldn't tell already I was pretty naive. So making me hyperventilate was the goal. Worked every time too.
On one such smothering occasion, which would turn out to be the last, my brother left Drowsy Beans in my reach. Drowsy Beans had a hard plastic head and a body filled with what felt like rice. But I guess they were meant to feel like beans. Anyhow. I picked up Drowsy Beans and commenced to beating my brother about the head and the shoulders as hard as I could. And I was making definite contact. Cause he was getting madder. So then he got my doll away from me, but I still had my arm out. So I reached up and pulled his hair so hard I came back with a handful. He had a lovely bald spot for 6-8 weeks after that. Now he just has one cause hes old. He also had some red marks from good ole Drowsy Beans. Gawd I love that doll. And I still have her today. I need to bring her with me the next time I see my brother, just for good old times sake.
I like to think this is the point in my life where I learned to fight back and not take crap from anyone. Because it did indeed stop most of his shenanigans. I think I saved my little brother from ever knowing the torture my big brother could bring. So Tony, don't ever say I've never done anything for you.
But as I grew up and Vernon (my older brothers name) did too, we became closer. And we actually developed a pretty cool relationship. He was the first one to ever let me try driving. He was the one who would overpay me for a 3 hour babysitting job just cause he knew I was never getting an allowance at home. And he will always be my childhood  rescuer from mean people, hard times, and shitty circumstances.  All in all without taking into account what a horrible horrible child he was. Hes a pretty cool adult. And thank God his wife and kids are the only ones that have to put up with him daily. Love ya Vern. Mellie Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment