Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hair Layering 101

So I kinda have these urges out of the blue to cut my hair every now and then. And its never at the times when actual salons are open. Its always late evening. And usually when I cut my hair I do pretty drastic cuts. I have been know to cut my hair from the middle of my back to the chin without even thinking about it. It's just hair it grows back right? And I am also notorious for letting just anyone cut my hair. I once made the mistake of letting my mother-in-law cut my hair. And I should have known better seeings as shes on pills for her shaky hands and can't see past her nose. But I did, lesson learned never happened again. So tonight I was sitting here and was bored. Thought about my hair randomly and decided to google "How to cut layers into your own hair". Watched a video, it seemed complicated. Watched another and it seemed right up my alley. So after getting a couple different pep talks of people telling me I could do it I went at it. And I am going to take you all through the process.

Exhibit A:

The first step to cutting layers into your head is to put ALL your hair in a ponytail at the top of your head. I actually couldn't resist doing my best valley girl impression after this. "Like totally!" Onwards we go.

Exhibit B:

As you notice the ponytail has not gotten shorter. That is because I just cut two inches of the end of it. The first of two cuts. Yes friends this is a two cut job. NEXT!

Exhibit C:

Now even tho you cant see it I have parted my top hair from the bottom hair. And I needed help to make sure I had it straight. So enter stage right Jason. I made my husband part my hair. To which he complained "Baby you really need to make some friends." Bah real friends are overrated. I prefer my online peeps.  OK so back to the story. He parted my hair for me and I put it up in a pony tail again. in the center of my head. Valley girl style again. OK moving on.

Exhibit D:

OK so I took another 2 inches off that ponytail. Keeping the length you cut off each ponytail is key. And getting that part straight is also very important.  At this point I am looking the mirror thinking "Man I hope I did this right cause I really wasn't paying that much attention to the video at this point. I was actually wondering if Kenz had pooped today." Yes I really ask myself that daily. She has issues. LOL OK so after 2 very big cuts...and lots of blood rushing to my head from bending over and putting my hair up that high we have the finished product. Drum roll please!

The Finished Product!!!

Ahhhh it turned out so good!!! I actually kinda regret not doing a couple more parts and cuts. But now the plan is highlighting it.  Will I post a blog about that? Its looking likely at this point. And I also realize that I didn't really post a before shot. Which makes the after shot kinda pointless. But since I am pretty sure just people that know me read my blog you knew what I looked like before. 
So overall a pretty productive evening. I saved my lovely girlfriend, erm, husband some money by doing it myself and not going to the salon. And I am happy with the results. He even said it looked good. Which is alot for a man whose vocabulary consists of "I dunno" and "maybe" and the occasional grunt.
I will definitely do this again, and probably be a bit more daring with the length I cut off next time. Now that I have a good idea of what I am doing. So now that everyone has seen me take a risk I think you should. Even if that risk is letting your Mother-in-law with shaky hands cut your hair. Just kidding, I do not recommend that at all. I wish I had a picture of that on my computer to show you all. Actually I am glad I don't. It was horrible. So horrible in fact that people wouldn't think I was kidding when I call Jason my girlfriend. Yea THAT bad. OK I think I have blogged myself to contentment tonight. Happy Friday everyone. Mellie Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment