Friday, August 20, 2010

Assignment #3

The assignment was as follows:
Assignment #3: Photo Image Poem






I want you to spread out a bunch of pictures that you have. They could be of anything: old family photos, nature pictures, wedding photos, etc. Display them in front of you and look at them for a while. Pick out 6 pictures that speak to you the most. Then select 3 pictures that are worth words and finally, choose one of those final 3. With this picture, I want you to write a poem with very descriptive imagery. I want you to take that picture and make it into words so that when I read the poem, I can clearly visualize what you have written about in concrete language. Abstractions are prohibited. Show me the picture IN WORDS. If possible, share the picture with me once I have finished reading it and I will decide if you have satisfied my mind's eye enough to earn a good grade. I will give extra points for usage of metaphor and non-rhyming sound devices. Good enjambment might even earn you an A.


Assignment #3




Punished For Creativity





Dirty nose, dirty face,

arms and legs are such a mess.

Her tear smudged cheeks black with ink,

it's obvious the statement she was trying to make.



The lines so precise and the nose completly black,

She looked like a zebra made in Kindergarten class.

She started to cry more when I finally got a look,

I wonder if she thought I would throw the book.



The more she cried the more she smeared,

Making her hard work all but disappear.

So sorry she did it now,

But more sorry we had caught her somehow.



"Stand in the corner." was the punishment given,

She walked to the wall without being driven.

She stood there for her time,

then when it was over, she decided to whine.



No remorse for doing the deed,

Remorse came from getting caught

and being scrubbed clean.

Soon all the ink would be washed away

But because of the picture she would always see this day.




I got an A- on this assignment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment