Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Assignment #2

For Assignment #2, I want you to write me what I like to call a "Concrete Love Poem". How are you going to do that if love itself is an abstraction? Describe all the qualities of love that appeal to your five senses. It can be any kind of love: platonic, familial, sexual, even self-destructive. Your choice. I want it to be written in Times New Roman font size 12 and it should be a full page long. You may choose how long your stanzas are and if you want to use rhyme or not but pay attention to rhythm. Good poetry must have good rhythm and pace. If you want to know more about pace, try banging your fist down on a table in between each word while you read the poems. Eventually, you will encounter the rhythm of each one.

And here is my work. At the end you will see the grade. Enjoy.

My First Born Assignment #2




The first month started like any other,

a bug I caught was the reason my tummy was all a flutter.

Days went by and still the sickness came,

I started to realize my life was about to change.



Go to the doc is what they all advised,

they wanted me to confirm the inevitable I could only surmise.

So I made the appointment, and indeed I was right.

Today my world would change overnight.



Everything in that those hard long days

couldn't prepare me for the force of your gaze.

Those months I saw my insides come out,

a popular dinner guest I was not.



More time passed and the big day arrived,

Off we flew to meet the new life.

So scared I was to pass or fail,

But giving you life was worth all the miserable details.



Here you were so small, yet so loud.

"She looks like her mother!" they all exclaimed outloud.

They whisked you away to places unknown.

All at once I was again incredibly alone.



In the end the war we had won,

not to say small battles wouldn't come

You were mine completley and without qualm,

and I was yours, growing with you to be more then just "Mom"




B+ was the grade :) And I am showing you all exactly what I turned in to my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment